Scroll down for useful resources.
Children in Years 1 - 6 follow the National Curriculum for Mathematics, click for more information:
Along with teaching the mathematical content we teach the children how to reason mathematically. This involves teaching the children:
- how to explain their mathematical thoughts,
- to explain why they think an answer is correct or incorrect,
- to convince us why something is true or false,
- to identify the 'odd one out' from a set
- how to solve a variety of different problems set in different ways.
Children in reception work towards meeting the Mathematics Early Learning Goals in Numbers and Shape, Space and Measures. See the development matters document for more information.
A useful website with advice and ideas to use at home: