The PSHE curriculum consists of three strands.
PSHE encompasses all areas designed to promote children’s personal, social, health and economic development.
SMSC - Social, moral, spiritual and cultural awareness
BV - British Values - democracry, rule of law, tolerance and individual liberty
Our curriculum gives children the knowledge, skills and understanding that they need to stay healthy and safe, develop worthwhile relationships, respect differences, develop independence and responsibility, make the most of their own abilities and those of others.
Our PSHE curriculum is structured to include PSHE, British Values, SMSC, Global Learning and our Golden Rules. This is split into three strands:
Me - resislience, coping with change, well-being
Me and Others - how I relate to other people, relationships, me within my community
Me and the Wider World - my understanding of the wider world and the part I play in it
As well as in discrete PSHE/Citizenship lessons, we believe that many of the skills and attitudes that we wish to develop are taught and demonstrated throughout the day at Holmes Chapel Primary School. Pupils will have opportunities to develop their understanding of these issues through:
- school ethos;
- school trips;
- extra curricular activities;
- classroom and playground rules;
- School Council
We organise extra-opportunities for our children to learn from visitors and experiences.
- Health promotion sessions with School Nurse (focussing on handwashing, medicine safety, the importance of drinking plenty of water, etc.)
- Sex and Relationship education (SRE) sessions
- Bikeability - road safety sessions
- First Aid sessions
- Engagement with charity events
- Being part of local community events eg Education Sunday at the local Methodist church
- A wide range of visitors into school such as the Fire Service, a Paralympian